Start a new simulation from a previous state and coordinates

GROMACS version:2022.4
GROMACS modification: No
Here post your question
Good afternoon,
I would like to start a brand new simulation using the last coordinates from a previous run as a starting point.

I don’t understand the difference between:
gmx grompp -f new_run.mdp -c previous.gro -t previous.cpt -p topol.top -o new_tpr.tpr
(which explicitly refers to the last generated .gro and .cpt)

and
gmx convert-tpr -s previous.tpr extend 200 -o new.tpr
(which uses the last generated .tpr, extending the duration).

Say I want to start a brand new simulation from the last checkpoint/frame, which one should I use?
Given that every time I reassign velocities (as specified in the .mdp) I don’t understand which command I should use.

It seems that -extend increases the duration of a simulation, maintaining all the data from the previous one (being a continuation) while creating the tpr from “scratch” every time might what I am looking for, but I’d rather ask more experienced users.

Thanks!

But after you have the new extended tpr, you have to start the simulation with that tpr and the last checkpoint file using mdrun.
I think the first one should be used when you are using a new mdp file with some parameter change, but still want to do a continuation. In case of the convert tpr , you are using the same parameters from the old mdp and just extending the simulation time.
Based on your requirements: Given that you probably have gen vel on in the mdp, I think you should re grompp everytime you restart a simulation.

1 Like

Thank you, I just was not sure about what to do!

1 Like