Explanation of gmx rdf

GROMACS version:2019
GROMACS modification: No
Here post your question

Recently, I use gmx rdf command to calculate the RDFs. However, I am confused by
" -selrpos (atom)
Selection reference positions: atom, res_com, res_cog, mol_com,
mol_cog, whole_res_com, whole_res_cog, whole_mol_com,
whole_mol_cog, part_res_com, part_res_cog, part_mol_com,
part_mol_cog, dyn_res_com, dyn_res_cog, dyn_mol_com, dyn_mol_cog
-seltype (atom)
Default selection output positions: atom, res_com, res_cog,
mol_com, mol_cog, whole_res_com, whole_res_cog, whole_mol_com,
whole_mol_cog, part_res_com, part_res_cog, part_mol_com,
part_mol_cog, dyn_res_com, dyn_res_cog, dyn_mol_com, dyn_mol_cog
"
what the different res_com, mol_com, part_res_com, mol_cog, and so on? Where could I find some material about their difference?

Best

Isimuly

When you calculate RDF, you need to calculate the distance between the two groups. Then, RDF is calculated by histogramming the calculated distances. A group can consist of single atom, molecule, residue, etc. If a group has more than one atom, then the center of mass (com) or the center of geometry(cog, mass unweighted com) is considered. Out of two groups, the first one is a reference group and second one is the output group.

When you calculate COM/COG of a group of atoms, they need to be unwrapped (whole). If your trajectory has already been unwrapped (e.g. using trjconv -pbc whole), you would use res_com/mol_com (per se), otherwise, you need to ask gromacs explicitly by whole_res_com/whole_mol_com.

http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/current/onlinehelp/selections.html

Hi Masrul,

Thanks for your kind reply. I got some information from gmx selections command
For Whole, it said " [TT]whole_[tt] calculates the centers for the whole residue/molecule,",
" even if only part of it is selected."
it seems that the whole is not used to eliminate the PBC effect. If I do not misunderstand, it is used to calculate the center of mass of whole residue/molecule, even if one only chooses an atom of one residue/molecule.

For the gmx rdf command, the item “-[no]rmpbc (yes)” was used to make molecules whole for each frame.
So, does it means that I could use -rmpbc yes to instead the trjconv -pbc whole?

I am confused by your explanation and help information.

Thanks in advance

isimuLy

Ignore ‘-pbc whole’ if you use -rmpbc