How do you deal with proteins having large loop?

GROMACS version: GROMACS 2023.3
GROMACS modification: No

I am preparing files for protein-ligand simulation for PPAR alpha. The protein structure available on PDB has two truncated loops. These truncated loops introduced the artifact of long bond distances during energy minimization. If I include the loop, the system will be very large, and the simulation will unnecessarily involve extra costs. The loops have no role in the binding of the ligand.

PDB Entry: PDB 7bq3 structure summary ‹ Protein Data Bank in Europe (PDBe) ‹ EMBL-EBI
AlphaFold Entry: AlphaFold Protein Structure Database

Possible solution: Use a coarse-graining tool like MARTINI, SIRAH, or VOTCA to create a coarse-grained representation of the truncated loop. Never done before. Not sure if it’s possible, but I’m going to try.

Have you any idea how to deal with this situation?

@jalemkul Would appreciate your take on this.

Hi,

In cases such as you described, it’s quite customary to omit flexible regions that do not affect the relevant outcomes of our simulation. If you introduce a terminus that isn’t a natural C- or N-term, though, remember to use the NME/ACE capping residues to avoid artificially introducing extra charges to the system. In the PDB file, mark the two parts as separate chains, or add a TER entry in between them, to avoid the “long bond” issue in pdb2gmx.

Best,
MW