GROMACS version: 2016.4
GROMACS modification: No
I built GROMACS with CUDA support(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060) and have used since February 2018. And I am trying to switch to double precision from single precision because I am about to perform normal mode analysis because the manual suggests to compile gromacs with double precision to perform normal mode analysis.
However, when I compile gromacs with double precision, the error message has occurred.
$ cmake … -DGMX_DOUBLE=on
CMake Error at cmake/gmxManageGPU.cmake:46 (message):
- GPU acceleration is not available in double precision!*
Call Stack (most recent call first):
- CMakeLists.txt:214 (include)*
– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/…/Programs/gromacs-2016.4/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “/…/gromacs-2016.4/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.
When I checked gmxManageGPU.cmake file, I found this error message will be displayed when I run cmake with both
-DGMX_GPU=on and -DGMX_DOUBLE=on.
if(GMX_GPU AND GMX_DOUBLE)
- message(FATAL_ERROR “GPU acceleration is not available in double precision!”)*
if(GMX_GPU_AUTO AND GMX_DOUBLE)
- message(WARNING “GPU acceleration is not available in double precision, disabled!”)*
- set_property(CACHE GMX_GPU PROPERTY VALUE OFF)*
- set_property(CACHE GMX_GPU_AUTO PROPERTY VALUE OFF)*
So, I thought the gromacs(at least, gromacs 2016.4 version) prohibits to build both GPU acceleration and double precision.
Therefore, there are some questions;
Is it possible to compile both of them, and I wonder how to do if it’s available. Is it available if I build gromacs with newer(or, different) version?
If I compile gromacs with double precision except GPU acceleration, how much the results(precision of the hessian matrix) will be changed, in the other word, will the double precision affect the result dramatically for relatively small systems? (In my case, there are ~16000 atoms in total).
I am waiting for your wisdoms.
Jin Gyu Seol