Using full GPU node without MPI

GROMACS version: 2019
GROMACS modification: Yes

Hello,

I am trying to run the gromacs on a multi-instance GPU (MIG). I tried several commands to run Gromacs but each time it used part of the GPU and not the full node.

1. gmx mdrun -v -deffnm md_0_10

2. gmx mdrun -ntmpi 6 -ntomp 12 -nb gpu -pme gpu -npme -1 -bonded gpu -v -deffnm md_0_10

3. gmx mdrun -gputasks 0001 -nb gpu -pme gpu -npme 1 -ntmpi 4 -v -deffnm md_0_10

4. mpirun -np 1 gmx_mpi mdrun -ntomp 6 -nb gpu -gputasks 00 -v -deffnm md_0_10

5. gmx mdrun -ntmpi 2 -nb gpu -pme gpu -bonded gpu -v -deffnm md_0_10

Has anyone faced the same problem earlier? Any help in this regard will be really helpful.

Hi,

Can you please clarify what exactly are you trying to accomplish? NVIDIA MIG is used to partition a GPU into multiple slices so independent work can progress concurrently (and in isolation). Are you trying to run many independent jobs on a single node?

Cheers,
Szilárd

Hello @pszilard,

I am trying to run a simulation with Gromacs. I would like to run it with a higher speed so one of the platform team members told me to use a full GPU node to optimize the speed.

I just want an optimized speed for the simulation with this MIG architecture.
I hope this clarifies your doubts. Please let me know if it answers your questions.

MIG will not improve the performance of a single simulation, it is can be useful for ensemble simulations, but even there the benefits are modest and MPS is more important; see this post from a few years ago: