Pdb2gmx looking in wrong directory even though I changed GMXLIB

GROMACS version: 2016.5
GROMACS modification: No

Hello!

I am trying to make a topology for N-methyl acetamide using GROMOS 53a6 ff. This force field doesn’t have an entry for NME (N-methyl capping group), but Tom Piggot from the GROMACS forum provided an rtp file. I put the rtp file in the same directory as the rest of the force field files (gromos53a6.ff) and copied it to my local directory. I then changed GMXLIB to the current working directory based on the pdb2gmx documentation. I now get this error:

Feature not implemented:
Can only select the first of multiple force field entries with directory name
’gromos53a6.ff’ in the list. If you want to use the next entry, run pdb2gmx in
a different directory, set GMXLIB to point to the desired force field first,
and/or rename or move the force field directory present in the current working
directory.

As a side note, is having an rtp file enough to specify the topology for NME? If no, what else do I need and can anyone provide it? People in the literature have done simulations with NMA and this ff so it must be pretty straightforward (I think)…

Thank you!

Best,
Dan

Hi,
I suggest to check GMXLIB setting of your shell. you can look at the environmental setting using the bash command ( > env | grep ‘GMXLIB’ ).
I think that pdb2gmx writes in standard output where is looking for forcefield file. This should be the case also for 2016, but I am not 100% sure.

I guess that you have added the rtp entry to rtp file. here you can find some information on how to add a residue Adding a Residue to a Force Field — GROMACS 2021.4 documentation

Regards
Alessandra