MD simulation of a bridging His coordinated to two ZN atoms

GROMACS version:2023

I am trying to perform a MD simulation with a bridging histidine that is completely deprotonated and coordinated with Zn atoms on its epsilon and delta N. How should I proceed with this His? There is not much information about the parameters for this type of residue; or should it be parametrized as an entire group (ZN-His-Zn). Any suggestions?

1. You can parametrize the entire residue.
  2. You can use restraints just to keep them bound.
  3. You can use a force field that allows non bonded coordinated metals.

The answer you chose will depend on your resources and purpose of the project.

Hi @opalomino! Thanks for your response.

I am studying an protein which catalitic site has 3 Zn atoms, and in between 2 Zn there is a histidine completely deprotonated. The forcefield that I am using is CHARMM36, but it automatically assigns histidine protonation. In this case, should I define this His as a new residue with its own parameters? If so how do I validate afterwards?

I am not sure if CHARMM has the deprotonated histidines. If not, you will have to define it as new residue, parametrized through QM calculations.

No, CHARMM does not have this kind of histidine. I guess it need its own parameters… I have searched in a couple of databases which define paramaters and topology for non-standard residues but did not found this type of His… How can I validate these calculations afterwards?