Segmentation fault - core dumped

GROMACS version: 2023.1
GROMACS modification: Yes/No

I am currently trying the Martini M3 tutorial (M3-tutorials), which basically starts with the a CG simulation of a soluble protein. I have done everything according to the tutorial, but when i want to perform a simple energy minimization i get following error:

gmx mdrun -deffnm minimization-vac -v
:-) GROMACS - gmx mdrun, 2023.1 (-:

Executable: /usr/local/bin/gmx
Data prefix: /usr/local
Working dir: /home/qoraj/Documents/CG_simulations/tutorial_protein_part1/tutorial_2/template/tut1
Command line:
gmx mdrun -deffnm minimization-vac -v

Back Off! I just backed up minimization-vac.log to ./#minimization-vac.log.2#
Reading file minimization-vac.tpr, VERSION 2023.1 (single precision)
Update groups can not be used for this system because an incompatible virtual site type is used

Using 1 MPI thread
Using 8 OpenMP threads

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Does anybody have experience with this kind of problem? I am by far no expert in this field and i am not really familiar with “virtual sites”. I also downloaded the “worked” tutorial and the files i generated match the “worked” files and also when i try to simulate the “worked” files with my setup i get the same error so i guess it has something to do with my setup?? Maybe my gromacs version? Has anybody experiences with a similar problem?

Hi!

Update groups can not be used for this system because an incompatible virtual site type is used

It is nothing to worry about, that’s a just an information message. Update groups are needed for some performance-relevant features, but there’s nothing you can do here, since it’s just how the system is set up.

The segmentation fault, though, is definitely indicative of some bug in GROMACS.

I also downloaded the “worked” tutorial and the files i generated match the “worked” files and also when i try to simulate the “worked” files with my setup i get the same error so i guess it has something to do with my setup??

Could you share what exactly you downloaded? Or your input files?

Maybe my gromacs version?

Please share the output of gmx -version. There’s unlikely something wrong with your GROMACS version per se, but the bug you’re encountering might be version/build specific, so the full version info will be helpful.

Hey @al42and thanks for the fast reply :)

At this website: 3: Proteins - Part I: Basic and Martinize 2 there is a link in the beginning “The files required for this tutorial (including worked files) can be downloaded from [here.]”. I used that link to download the file and the given tutorial for the simulation.

Today i tried the same on another computer and there everything worked fine so it is most likely a software issue? I wanted to try the tutorial on my own computer, which should be possible i guess since it is a small system to simulate?

Thank you very much for help!

My gromacs version (quick and dirty installation):

gmx --version
                         :-) GROMACS - gmx, 2023.1 (-:

Executable:   /usr/local/bin/gmx
Data prefix:  /usr/local
Working dir:  /home/qoraj/Documents/CG_simulations/tutorial_protein_part1 (1)/tutorial_2/martini3_worked/test
Command line:
  gmx --version

GROMACS version:    2023.1
Precision:          mixed
Memory model:       64 bit
MPI library:        thread_mpi
OpenMP support:     enabled (GMX_OPENMP_MAX_THREADS = 128)
GPU support:        disabled
SIMD instructions:  AVX2_256
CPU FFT library:    fftw-3.3.8-sse2-avx-avx2-avx2_128
GPU FFT library:    none
Multi-GPU FFT:      none
RDTSCP usage:       enabled
TNG support:        enabled
Hwloc support:      disabled
Tracing support:    disabled
C compiler:         /usr/bin/cc GNU 11.3.0
C compiler flags:   -fexcess-precision=fast -funroll-all-loops -mavx2 -mfma -Wno-missing-field-initializers -O3 -DNDEBUG
C++ compiler:       /usr/bin/c++ GNU 11.3.0
C++ compiler flags: -fexcess-precision=fast -funroll-all-loops -mavx2 -mfma -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-cast-function-type-strict -fopenmp 
BLAS library:       Internal
LAPACK library:     Internal

And i will upload my used input files and the .log file.

Thank you already!!

minimization-vac.log (13.2 KB)

Hi! Thank you, I can reproduce your bug. We will look into it.

Thank you very much!

Would it make sense to install an slightly older version of gromacs and try the simulations with that version?

Yes, if you can test with an older version, that would be nice. I suspect 2022.5 might work, but had not had time to check it myself.

Hello there,

So i used gromacs 2022.5 now and it works fine. Did you manage to find out what the problem with gromacs 2023.1 is/was?

Kind regards

Hi! We’re still looking into it. The bug is filed at SegFault in MARTINI minimization (#4814) · Issues · GROMACS / GROMACS · GitLab, if you’re interested

1 Like

Hi. The problem will be fixed in the upcoming 2023.3 release.