Does maximum time step for a system depend on equilibration state, or only on topology?

GROMACS version: 2024
GROMACS modification: No

I am attempting to simulate a fairly straight-forward system (folded protein + tip3p water + charge balancing ions) with a 4 fs time step using HMR. In different minimization runs I was able to get Fmax < 500, < 100, and even < 50, so I don’t think my problem has to do with insufficient energy minimization.

NVT equilibration with a 4 fs time step and positional restraints crashes almost immediately (with different errors – see below), so I thought I could increase the time step slowly over multiple equilibration runs. 500,000 steps of 2 fs nvtEQ ran without problems, as did another 1,000,000 steps of 3 fs. Total energy and temperature seem to be nicely converged. However, a 4 fs time step nvtEQ run started from the end of the 3 fs time step run (coordinates and velocities) crashes within 5,000 steps. So, am I still not minimizing / equilibrating the system enough to run with a 4 fs time step, or does something about the topology of the system make it fundamentally unstable with a time step that long?

@MagnusL, the error behavior I’m observing is similar to what Ryan observed in his recent post, so I am tagging you here.

The runs have crashed in at least 4 different ways, including a core dump. One of the other errors points to hydrogen in a water molecule near the edge of the box, nowhere near the protein:

Step 2240:
The update group starting at atom 21709 moved more than the distance
allowed by the domain decomposition (2.204964) in direction X
distance out of cell 6.098123
Old coordinates: 22.099 17.146 11.171
New coordinates: 18.048 4.994 5.442
Old cell boundaries in direction X: 5.401 8.102
New cell boundaries in direction X: 5.401 8.102

Program: gmx mdrun, version 2024
Source file: src/gromacs/domdec/redistribute.cpp (line 219)
MPI rank: 5 (out of 7)

Fatal error:
One or more atoms moved too far between two domain decomposition steps.
This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated

At other times the error is this:

step 1400, remaining wall clock time: 167 s imb F 3% pme/F 0.81

Source file: src/gromacs/gpu_utils/device_stream.cu (line 107)
Function: DeviceStream::synchronize() const::<lambda()>
MPI rank: 6 (out of 7)

Assertion failed:
Condition: stat == cudaSuccess
cudaStreamSynchronize failed. CUDA error #700 (cudaErrorIllegalAddress):
an illegal memory access was encountered.

or this:

step 1200, remaining wall clock time: 175 s imb F 3% pme/F 0.84

Source file: src/gromacs/mdlib/sim_util.cpp (line 555)
Function: void checkPotentialEnergyValidity(int64_t, const
gmx_enerdata_t&, const t_inputrec&)
MPI rank: 0 (out of 7)

Internal error (bug):
Step 1300: The total potential energy is nan, which is not finite. The LJ and
electrostatic contributions to the energy are 0 and -429026, respectively. A
non-finite potential energy can be caused by overlapping interactions in
bonded interactions or very large or Nan coordinate values. Usually this is
caused by a badly- or non-equilibrated initial configuration, incorrect
interactions or parameters in the topology.

Hi,

It is difficult to make any sweeping statements, but I would say that both the topology and state of the system (positions and velocities) affect the maximum time step. As you mention in your post, it might be worth running a few shorter NVT equilibration stages with shorter time steps. I’ve had systems where I’ve started with 0.5 fs time steps for just 20,000 steps before increasing the step size gradually.

But in your case, where you’ve successfully run for 1,000,000 steps with 3 fs time steps, I do not think that that is the problem. I would expect that the topology is not compatible with such a large time step - 4 fs is quite large even with hydrogen mass repartitioning. Do you get any warnings or notes from gmx grompp (about bond oscillations) with such a large time step? What hydrogen mass repartitioning scheme do you use, i.e., how do you do it (do you use the new mdp option or do you modify the topology?) and how much mass do you shift? What temperature are you running at? Are you constraining all bonds or only bonds to hydrogens?

In general I would expect a 3 fs time step to be achievable for most systems (with the commonly used all atom force fields) with hydrogen mass repartitioning (increasing the hydrogen mass by a factor 3) and a temperature of up to roughly 310 K. 4 fs would be possible for many systems, but I would then be extra careful when evaluating the results (from shorter production simulations) to verify that they are consistent with what I get with a 2 fs time step.

I hope that helps you.

Thanks so much for your insight @MagnusL!

No bond oscillation warnings. I’ve only used the old repartitioning scheme: pdb2gmx -heavyh. I think the result is to modify the topology, or generate a different one than you would without the -heavyh option? I did see that there is a new mechanism to do this with an mdp option, but I haven’t tried that yet. Also, -heavyh does not take an argument – I think it increases hydrogen masses 4-fold, and reduces the mass of the bonded heavy atom accordingly? I’m not sure how you would change this, short of editing the masses directly in the topology file.

I perform all simulations at 300K. I’m using charmm36 and, following the recommendations here, only constraining hydrogen bonds.

The other thing I will try is vsites, although that introduces complexity downstream in terms of repairing the modified amino acids when extracting conformations from trajectories, defining vsites for ligands, etc. etc. And, of course, there is always the option of simply using at 3 fs time step.