Drastic change in number of Water Molecules after Point Mutation

GROMACS version:2022.2
GROMACS modification: Yes/No
Hi @jalemkul @hess @pjohansson

upon mutating 1 residue in the receptor (**protein-protein system**), the number of added water molecules have been changed drastically. (Provided all parameters are same ie box size, force field, sol type, mdp parameters, simulation time etc…)

mut_1 => wild_type to E484K → total SOL => 47997
mut_2 => wild_type to N501Y → total SOL => 76428

I am not sure if the number of water molecules affects the mdrun performance but this made my system very slow almost by 0.5.
For mut_1 and mut_2, it took 72 Hrs and 140 Hrs respectively to finish the MD simulation.

Two question:
1st: Is it obvious/known phenomenon of Gromacs to change the number of water molecules abruptly upon mutation?
2nd: Does the increased number of water molecules (SOL) makes the simulation slow as happned in my case?

Thanks

@jalemkul Please consider my query.

A single point mutation would not result in such a drastic change. Your box size must be different.

Thanks for considering.
I used the same script to generate topology. Don’t know what went wrong. I used the below command in the script to determine the box.

“gmx editconf -f test.gro -o test_newbox.gro -c -d 1.2 -bt triclinic -box 1.2 1.2 1.2”

also, Does the number of water molecule affects the simulation speed i.e. time to finish the simulation?

Thanks

Check the box vectors in any coordinate file to check your work. But there’s no physical way that 30,000 more waters will fit in a box that was otherwise filled with a smaller number of waters.

The number of atoms in the system is principal determining factor in the speed of a simulation. More atoms means slower simulation (assuming everything else to be constant in terms of input settings and hardware).

It means, number of Solvent molecules doesn’t affect the simulation speed, so there is something wrong with Gromacs may be it has crashed or having some trouble.

Thanks

No. More solvent molecules = more atoms. Your second simulation is slower because it has far more atoms than the first.